(A chapter of the United Ostomy Associations of America)
KCOA is a volunteer group founded in the 1970s, dedicated to providing support to anyone who has or will have an ileostomy, colostomy, urostomy, J Pouch, or other diversion. Please attend our meetings and see what you can learn and share. Bring family members or send them if you are unable to attend. If you have a problem that your physician or ostomy nurse can’t solve, ask us!
The next 2018 meeting is Sept 20 at 7 pm, at Turning Point, 8900 State Line Rd, suite 240, Leawood, KS (map). The entry door is on the southeast corner of the building. The November 15 meeting will be the annual dinner. Please email us your contact info so we can send you reminders and any changes.
Contact info: email@example.com. 913-588-0438. firstname.lastname@example.org.
KC Ostomy, PO Box 7292, Overland Park, KS 66207-7292
Bladder Cancer Support Group, contact Katie Mann, email@example.com, 913-588-7576.
Resources & Links
- Several members are trained visitors who can answer questions new ostomates might have. Email us at above contact links; replies are likely within several days.
- The United Ostomy Associations of America is the place for resources, advocacy, and support. UOAA has over 300 Affiliated Support Groups, and can help you get the answers you need as you begin your “new normal” life. Explore its website for information. You’ll find answers about nutrition and intimacy, and useful knowledge about living with an ostomy or continent diversion.
Main Page: ostomy.org Frequently Asked Questions: ostomy.org/Ostomy_FAQ.html
Discussion Board: uoaa.org/forum; “The Phoenix” magazine: phoenixuoaa.org
- J-Pouch Forum
- The Stolen Colon website and Facebook
- Vegan Ostomy has lots of info beyond vegan!
- Meet An OstoMate
- ** Ostomy Care Center 816-753-6446, 102 W 39th St, KC, MO 64111
- Convatec 800-422-8811
- Hollister 888-740-8999 or for general questions 847-680-1000
- Nu-Hope 800-899-5017, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coloplast 800-533-0464. email@example.com
** They may be able to help with obtaining less expensive ostomy supplies or donating unused ones. Also the companies listed above may be willing to help, and may send free samples. Cancer Action KC and Friends of Ostomates Worldwide are other sources.
Note that youtube.com has about 31,000 links in a search for ostomy (it helps to be more specific).
Poem: What Do You See, Nurse?
Updated: May, 2018